"I enjoy being part of a team that provides innovative solutions to our clients’ tax issues."
Daniela Stoia, Partner
Vanda B. McMurtry
Van advises Davis & Harman LLP clients on issues regarding corporate tax, international trade, Medicare, health care reform, insurance and financial services, and employee benefits. He holds special expertise in lobbying and strategic planning. In his career, he has represented large corporations, sovereign governments and research universities.
Before joining Davis & Harman, Van worked as a senior government relations executive at Aetna, Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania, reporting to the chief executive officer at each institution. He brings with him valuable Capitol Hill experience from senior staff positions in the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate, including a four-year stint as Staff Director and Chief Counsel of the Senate Finance Committee.
"I am fascinated by the interplay between politics and public policy, and how that interplay affects the large organizations around which our society is structured," says Van McMurtry.
Van has many accomplishments from his years in law and public service, but he is most proud of the work that he did on behalf of the insurance industry, opening markets abroad to the industry’s products and helping the industry take the first steps toward comprehensive reform of the Superfund program.
A native of rural Minnesota, Van brings a practical, problem-solving approach to his work. "I look for the big picture when I approach a problem. I try to bring people together around potential solutions," he says.
In addition to a JD from Georgetown University, Van holds M.A. and PhD degrees in Philosophy from Cornell University and an MAS in Public Administration from the Johns Hopkins University.
- Senior government relations executive, Aetna
- Senior government relations executive, Cornell University
- Senior government relations executive, University of Pennsylvania
- Staff member, U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate
- Associate, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton
The Willard 1455 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
, Suite 1200
Washington, DC 20004 Tel 202-347-2230
- BA, summa cum laude, University of California, 1972
- MA, summa cum laude, Philosophy, Cornell University, 1975
- PhD, Philosophy, Cornell University, 1979
- Academic fellowships: Becker, Mattie Hipp Cunningham, Susan Linn Sage, Cornell-Rockefeller, Cornell University
- MAS, Public Administration, Johns Hopkins University, 1981
- JD, cum laude, Georgetown University, 1985
1455 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20004